Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Seymour's Tale - A Very Happy New Year!

Seymour NOW in his new home, such a handsome boy!
Seymour was a 2 year old member of the Texas 6 ABC rescued from a neglectful breeder in Tool, TX on June 16th, 2012.  The transport was a huge success and widely covered by the local news media.  All six were terribly malnourished and infested with fleas and worms.  Stacy Hague who transported the Bassets from Flower Mound, TX to Little Rock, AR, cried when she first saw how neglected they were, "So sad but they are still bats and just wag their tails. :)" 
 
Seymour in TX waiting for the ABC transport in June (his caption read 'Some lucky family is waiting for me!')
Weighing in at less than 30 lbs, 2 year-old Seymour (a.k.a. “Little One”) suffered some joint and muscle atrophy due to being caged all of his life in an enclosure akin to a rabbit cage.  ABC's intake description of him depicts a sweet little guy who loved attention, "He is playful and enjoys wrestling with the other dogs in his foster home. He tries to play with the cats too, but they’re usually too grumpy to play. Seymour is crate-trained, and he is almost house-broken. He gets stiff when he has been sitting a while, and his elbow gives him grief, but otherwise he is a healthy and happy boy."
 
Seymour's dream came true at ABC's August Adoption Event where he was adopted by Kandy and Randy Glasbergen.


Looks like Love at First Sight!
Kandy and Randy wrote the following wonderful update on Seymour's life now:

"I just wanted to take a moment and say thank you for allowing Seymour into our hearts and home. When I first read about the heartworm, flea infested, mistreated Bassets coming to ABC Rescue in June of this year, I followed their story with interest and sadness. I wondered how people could treat dogs like they were a piece of furniture and never love them, but abuse them by keeping them underfed, underloved and caged 24/7. When the adoption event was being promoted through Facebook and I saw that Seymour was available, I did something very uncharacteristic of me, I inquired about him and then sent his picture to my husband and told him that this was our next Basset Hound. I have told my husband and family members that two Basset's were enough for our family (we have Maxine--age 3 and Tootsie--age 4). I was adamant that I would not be a very happy camper if my husband decided to bring another Basset into the house. Something about Seymour's eyes and the way he looked in his photo spoke to me--he was looking for me and I had to make him mine.


Seymour Goes Home!

We were told to come to the event early because there were other people that had inquired about him. I had no idea that going to the event that day meant that we could bring him home the same day. We arrived, he arrived with his foster family and it was love at first sight. He rode on my lap on the 2 1/2 hour drive home (see photo) and has made himself at home with his Basset and Cockapoo sisters. He came to us with front leg issues and back issues due to being confined in a too small cage, but he has proved his athletic ability by running through the house, up his ramp, jumping on the coffee table and down again.

Seymour is very loved and gives love back to us every day. At night, when watching television, he lays beside me or my husband just to be close to us. We love him ~ Thank you so much ABC Basset Rescue!"

By Karen and Randy Glasbergen
 
Congratulations to sweet Seymour, Karen and Randy (and to Maxine and Tootsie also for taking Seymour under their wings in his new home.)  Thanks so much for the pictures and update and especially for giving Seymour such a wonderful home after such a rocky beginning.  We wish you many happy, joyful years with sweet Seymour!

No comments:

Post a Comment