Thursday, August 9, 2012

New Southern Basset Hounds Travel to NY

This is Jeb who arrived last week in NY and is searching for his forever family!
ABC will be holding an Adoption Event this Sunday, August 12 from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm at Camp Bow Wow, Henrietta, NY. Camp Bow Wow is located at 85 Mushroom Blvd., Rochester, NY.   Here are a few of the wonderful Basset Hounds travelling from Southern states this week to attend the event.  If you've been thinking about adding a canine companion to your family you can't go wrong with one of these great hounds.  "The Basset is often considered a clown with his baleful Emmett Kelly countenance...he is actually quite agile and intelligent and has a reputation as a steadfast family friend. A gentle dog, he is well-suited to families with children and usually gets along well with other dogs." (Online Dog Owner's Guide).

As Shakespeare commented in 'Midsummer Night's Dream':

"My hounds are bred out of the Spartan kind,
So flew'd, so sanded, and their heads are hung
With ears that sweep away the morning dew;
Crook-knee'd, and dew-lapp'd like Thessalian bulls;
Slow in pursuit, but match'd in mouth like bells;
Each under each."

6 yr old Bruno
Want a hound whose ears don't drag the ground? Well Bruno is your man! I may be a little short in the ear department, but I'm all basset everywhere else. I love to play with toys and will entertain myself for hours throwing something around and catching it. I'm happy to sit next to you on the sofa and get lots of belly rubs, the more the better! I get along well with dogs and cats. I love to play with kids, but I do better with older kids since I just don't understand why I can't take the food away from the little ones who carry it and just seem to leave it everywhere. I am not a fan of having my ears cleaned and will let you know with quite the bark, but I assure you I am all bark & no bite! If you want a happy guy who has his house manners down pat and can go with the flow, ask for me -- Bruno!

4 yr old Vixen
Vixen is a beautiful, healthy girl. She can get anxious with other dogs/cats while leashed or at home (protective of home and family); however, does fine in new environments with strangers (e.g. day care with other dogs, boarding, grooming). She is excellent with kids and was great with her previous owners' baby boy - she was always calm around him. She knows her name and follows basic commands (sit, down, come). She is potty-trained. She has been crated at night and while the owners were away. She had a personal trainer when first adopted by her former owners.  They thought she probably had some socialization issues prior to adoption, given her anxious behavior with other animals. She has come a long way and is looking for that perfect family to love and continue her socialization in her new forever home!

2 yr old Seymour
Weighing in at less than 30 lbs, 2 year-old Seymour (a.k.a. “Little One”) is a small basset hound with a HUGE heart. He is part of the Texas 6 that arrived in New York on June 16th, 2012 after being rescued from a neglectful breeder. Malnourished and in need of some TLC, Seymour has settled-into his foster home where he is finally receiving the love and care he deserves.

Seymour is a sweet little guy, who loves attention. He is playful and enjoys wrestling with the other dogs in his foster home. He tries to play with the cats too, but they’re usually too grumpy to play. Seymour is crate-trained, and almost house-broken.   He gets stiff when he has been sitting a while, and his elbow gives him grief, but otherwise he is a healthy and happy boy who would make a wonderful addition to any family!

7-8 yr old Stella Sue
Otherwise known as Sweet Stella Sue, this lady is fine around other dogs and people. I don't mind my crate. I like to stroll around the backyard and remind people once in a while that I have a beautiful basset voice. If I have a bone or chewie I tend to want to keep it all to myself so best not to leave these things lying around the house freely. There were no kids at my foster home but I am sure I would like them. I recently had my teeth cleaned and now have a beautiful smile.  I am a little stiff in my back knee and sometimes when I run it might end in a little limp which is why I take Meloxicam daily which helps tremendously - my foster Mom is sending me with two months worth for my trip up to NY. If you are looking for a dog that isn't super needy, but just likes to hang around her home and humans, Sweet Stella Sue is for you!

8 1/2 yr old Priscilla
Meet Priscilla! Ears! Glorious, long, velvety ears - that's what I've got! I'm a classic basset - about 45lbs, big paws, low-to-the ground, and of course I've already mentioned my ears! The tip of my tongue sneaks out sometimes while I am sleeping - my foster Mom thinks it's adorable! I have also perfected the art of rolling over for belly rubs - I'm kind of ticklish, and I wiggle with delight when you rub my big basset belly!  I am housebroken, and have wonderful manners. Even though my back and hips are a little stiff from arthritis, I can manage a couple of steps to get in and out of the house. I also shake a little bit at times which is from an old nerve injury - this makes some people a little nervous at first until they learn it is normal for me. I am very sweet with people and kids. I also get along fine with other dogs, including at dinner time, and I've lived with a cat before as well. Look into my big, brown eyes, and you'll find a sweet, gentle soul searching for a forever family to love - are you that family?

Bentley the Bassador, so handsome!
The best of both worlds, Bentley is part Labrador Retriever and Basset Hound.  He will be arriving in NY this week and will be searching for that forever family who can't choose between these two great breeds!

Thanks are due to all of the wonderful Southern rescues and volunteers working so hard to transport these wonderful guys to NY in time for the August 12 Adoption Event.  If you are thinking of adding one of these delightful companion hounds to your family don't forget to fill out an adoption application prior to the event at ABC Basset Hound Rescue of NY.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! It looks like Jeb is adopted - showing his adoption as pending on the web page. Congratulations to Jeb and his new, lucky family! What a beautiful boy he is!

    ReplyDelete